I recommend using headphones to listen to this, not because it's overly loud or offensive, but because much of it is concerned with the depth of the stereo, or rather how "3-D" it is. I rediscovered "Project 01" last week, and I think it's still a blast. It's the very first mix I ever made using software. It was created between the end of 1999 and the beginning of 2000 on my old Gateway Pentium 3 desktop computer (128mb ram, 20GB harddrive) using ancient bootlegs of Sound Forge 4.5 and Vegas. At night, I'd lock myself in my room and teach myself how to use the software by creating a series of problems to solve. I wanted to...
- Mix found sounds and samples with songs.
- Take multiple versions of the same song and remix them into something completely new.
- Take a short song and seamlessly extend it several minutes without it sounding overtly like a loop.
- Focus on atmosphere.
- Experiment with beat and tone matching
- Experiment with unusual segues.
- Combine the final individual "tracks" into a single, cohesive mix.